From: Sandro Giometti Sandoval Santos <s...@brnet.com.br>
Subject: X-windows office suite for Linux
Date: 1996/10/12
sender: owner-linux-...@vger.rutgers.edu
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
x-hdr-sender: s...@brnet.com.br
organization: STE SERVICOS DE INFORMATICA LTDA.
mime-version: 1.0
x-env-sender: owner-linux-x11-outgo...@vger.rutgers.edu
newsgroups: linux.dev.x11

I have a major dilema, every time I need to work with a word processor
document or spreadsheet I have to reboot my linux box and use Win95 and
MS-office.  I'm really not fond of either but it seems like I've got no
options.  I'm looking for a suite of apps to use on linux and stop
having to use Win95.  I've heard of two packages: Staroffice and
Aplixware.  Are these the only ones available?  Which one is the best?
Do I need any Motif libraries for them to work?  If so, I have SCO
openserver is there anyway I can use the SCO libraries with linux.

Thanks in advance,
Sandro, Brazil

>having to use Win95.  I've heard of two packages: Staroffice and
>Aplixware.  Are these the only ones available?  Which one is the best?

Its probably a matter of taste. Applixware Im very fond of. If you have
Motif you can download and try Star Office for free.

>Do I need any Motif libraries for them to work?  If so, I have SCO
>openserver is there anyway I can use the SCO libraries with linux.

No. But if you've got a copy of SCO wordperfect around you can run that
happily under Linux with the iBCS2 module. Or Caldera sell a native Linux
edition.

		http://www.uk.linux.org/LxCommercial.html

Alan
--
UKUU free UUCP Project Swansea  |   Alan Cox, <alan....@linux.org>
+44 1792 422028 (Cabletel)  	|   Custom Linux Software Projects.

			  SCO's Case Against IBM

or criticism.